good evening from sticky austin, texass.
this weekend has been a picture of domesticity. paid bills. washed the cat, who found his way into the sooty fireplace. wrote awhile. and now it's beer and smokes and sticky legs on a wooden chair, here in the writing room. helen is grocery shopping. charley is asleep at my feets.
i have a niece, alyssa, who is 13. i don't know how she became 13, as i was 13 when she was born, but somehow, she is a teenager now, complete with crazy hormones, and a penchant for all things rock-and-roll. she even plays a glittery gold electric guitar. i should have been so cool at that age. instead, i had a perm, and made mixtapes from the radio.
as a belated birthday present, i put together a mix cd (ah, the evolution of technology). alyssa raves about greenday and blink182, so i obliged her, but added a bit of aunt anne sensibilities. i'm here to help her grow, right? without further ado, the playlist:
1. always - blink182
2. fix you - coldplay
3. middle of nowhere - hot hot heat
4. paranoid android- radiohead
5. strange & beautiful - aqualung
6. first day of my life - bright eyes
7. your love is the place... - teenage fanclub
8. girl you have no faith in medicine - white stripes
9. woohoo - the 5, 6, 7, 8s
10. all is full of love - death cab for cutie
11. telescope eyes - eisley
12. do you realize? - the flaming lips
13. wake me up when september ends - greenday
14. holiday - greenday
15. boulevard of broken dreams - more greenday
16. red morning light - kings of leon
17. helena - my chemical romance
18. such great heights - the postal service
19. somewhere a clock is ticking - snow patrol
20. are you gonna be my girl? - jet
i am sure that alyssa will have fun practicing her power chords with many of these tunes. i rocked it out for its first go yesterday, as two plumbers stood in the bathtub, fixing a sewer leak.
as for friday night, homestarrunner live was a bit of a letdown, honestly. the brothers chaps were front and center, and i was in the first row. they were funny and chappy, but quite subdued. they looked sleepy or stoned. who knows. i am, however, the proud owner of a the cheat voice box, er toilet paper roll. (watch the dvd if you have no idea what i'm talking about.)
i guess i was hoping for more strongbad, more never-before-seen goodies on the big screen. as it was, i did enjoy watching trogdor and other classics whilst drinking a guinness, as the brothers chaps chuckled at their own jokes and ate pizza from the stage.
i must end this entry now, as the humidity is REALLY getting to me. the pool is calling for a night swim.
nightnight.Posted by bananie at June 12, 2005 8:10 PM |